april 2015 | mt. defiance

Posted on 4/24/2015

You know how I usually always say something along the lines of : oh, it was hard / long / whatever, but it was worth it when talking about hikes?
 
Well.
 
I finally found a hike where that was not the case.
 
I almost didn't post about this hike at all, as I am still somewhat emotionally traumatized, but here we go:
 
-it was miserable (that's just how I felt the entire time)
-it was hard (4,000 elevation gain in 4 miles over 3 and a half hours)
-it was long (it took over 8 hours, it was only an 11 mile hike)
-the view didn't even make any of the above worth it.
 
I am glad to say I did this hike, it's thought of as the hardest hike in the gorge- so happy to check it off my list. But, yeah, I want nothing more then to forget that it happened.
 
 
 
NOTE: see that little loop at the top right? I didn't do that, I walked right on by. Not even one single little bit of me wanted to climb that, so I didn't. Elaine did though, but I was like: h e l l  n o .
 ^pretty waterfall : this is at the bottom. No hiking required.
 ^I'll admit it was kind of cool to realize I was looking DOWN at Wind Mtn. - elevation 1,200 feet.
 ^I could have KISSED this sign, which meant the top was close.
 ^ this was the best view.
 ^ a lake that was only "meh".  (I'm such a snob. I know, I know.)
 ^leaving! I thought this meant I was close to the bottom. hahahahahahahah. NOPE!
 ^this for miles..... and miles....


 ^good idea of how STEEP this hike was going down (and up)

^finally sight of the free way. I could have cried.
 
Would I recommend this? Sure, if you want to punish yourself for something, or maybe bragging rights. Those are literally the only 2 reasons why I can think that you would want to do this hike.

Post a Comment