2012 | Santo, RMI

Posted on 7/02/2015

While I was living on Santo, I lived with an amazing host family. They were nothing but kind, and hospitable! So much love for them! Having a volunteer teachers is somewhat of a status symbol - and in most cases the volunteers live with families that are pretty well off. On Santo, I would say my house was one of the nicest.

This was the view going into my house. Since there is no plumbing, there is no clean water, and all the containers here were full of water. This is also where we would sit to eat dinner/ breakfast/ lunch.
 photo file-4.jpg  photo file-5.jpg
^ The view looking onto the street / walkway

Here was the living room / where everyone in the family (2 parents, 1 adult daughter, 1 8th grade soon, 2 toddlers) but me slept (I had to have my own room with a locking door, as part of the agreement for me to live there):
 photo file.jpg
^the radio was one of the few working (it worked about 50% of the time) radios on the island. It was how I did my weekly check ins with the home office on Majuro.
 photo file-8.jpg
This was my bedroom ^ & I REALLY hated this when it rained:
 photo file-13.jpg
...a tin roof.  It sounded like bombs were going off.

And our kitchen:
 photo file-2.jpg
If you're having trouble imaging how this all fit, so was my Mom :) So I drew her this picture :
 photo file-18.jpg
showing the layout. I would say it was all about 500 sq. feet, and there were 8 of us living there, which sounds kind of crazy to say now, but felt totally luxurious at the time. All about perspective, right?!


Post a Comment