throwback thursday 5- Yangu, Korea

Posted on 4/04/2013

In honor of spring break, I thought I would share my spring break from a few years ago, when I went to Korea! Korea was the first place I ever went on my own, and when I landed I was just like, uhhhhmmmm wtf.... nothing even LOOKS like English. haha
So I landed. Somehow got to a bus station, somehow got on the right bus, somehow sat thru a 3 hour bus rude, somehow got off at the right stop (Yangu), somehow was found by my friend Kelly...and how any of this happened with me not getting totally lost (I sometimes get lost in my own home town) I have NO idea.
Oh, within the first hour of me being in Korea, I was serenaded in the subway by two men singing Backstreet Boys. 
Here was my first peek at Seoul-

I love this picture...Kelly showing me how to use her shower. It was attached to her sink...and her washing machine.

Oh, and yes I did fall in LOVE with Korean food. Korean BBQ= love love love love love

From Yangu (where Kelly was teaching and living at the time), I decided to go to the 4th tunnel, basically where North Korea had tunneled into Korea. It wasn't really a "tourist attraction" but I thought it would be fun (and it was). 
 ^ Korean country side.

I had to pay someone at the tourist center to take me up to the tunnel. They asked me to marry their son, but I declined. 
Which was good, because later I fell in love with my one on one tour guide of the 4th tunnel-he was the only one who spoke English :)
You weren't allowed to take pictures of the 4th tunnel, but it reminded me of a roller coaster (legit they put you on a cart and push you into a tunnel, lit by some christmas lights)....it was really fun. And the local law enforcement was so worried about how I would get home (I didn't have a return plan), they actually drove me home and walked me to Kelly's classroom. Amazing. 

Some other pictures from the Yangu area that I love....
All Korean BBQ, all the time-
 Dunkin' Donut was actually in a neighboring town. Still exciting :)
 ^ this was the towns mascot. Apparently every town has a mascot, which is awesome!


Although I have LOTS of love for Korean food, not for ALL Korean food. For example, here I am trying to be brave and trying something new-
hahahha I love it.
But I managed to cheer up (the guy was Kelly's friend)-

He taught us a card game that I was not good at. Korean card games are really, reallllyyy complicated.

I have sooo many more pictures from this trip. I will share them all soon. :)
  1. I can't wait to see you in Seoul with me on one of these Throwback Thursdays ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure that we need to get a swan boat like that and take it out on the Columbia.

    ReplyDelete