December 2014 : Warner Mountain Lookout 1 / 3

Posted on 12/12/2014

Part one, two & three.

Last week some friends had an extra night in a fire tower...and there was nothing that would have kept me away.
 
Not a National Weather Service Storm Warning for the area (for high winds).
Not the fact that I forgot chains for my car (realized that when I got to the lookout tower).
Not that I couldn't get anyone to go with me, so I would have to go alone.
Not the possibility that I would have to snowshoe 3 miles... alone... in the dark to get there.
Anyway- despite all that... I made it!

Have you ever stayed the night alone in a fire tower, during a windstorm

Don't.

Seriously. DON'T.

I was terrified. Actually I was BEYOND terrified. IT WAS HORRIBLE.

I was so so so so so sure that I was going to die... either by someone coming up and murdering me, by freezing to death, by carbon monoxide poising from the fireplace. Every possibility was thought of.

I got there within 5 minutes of it becoming totally dark. I can not even imagine how I could have possibly hiked in the dark without having a heart attack. 

However-the cabin itself was so cute! 
I took these in the morning- note the frozen snow on the window :/

 

^^this cute map would have been helpful if I could see more then 5 feet in front of my face  :)

Post a Comment