The Vatican: Saint Peters Basilica

Posted on 4/03/2012

Saint Peters Basilica is the Catholic Church. And with good reason-
Not only is it totally amazing, it's also the burial of Saint Peter. He is thought to be buried under this bronze canopy (some of the bronze was taken from the Pantheons formerly bronze ceiling)-
Everywhere you look is amazing. There is probably not only inch that isn't gilted, painted or frescoed. 
The church was designed by Michelangelo. The letters at the top (in gold, naturally) are 7 feet tall and the statues are designed to look like they are all the same size, so it actually feels smaller then it is (which is crazy but true). 
It is also home to is this famous Michelangelo statue. It's behind glass now because in the 1970's some psycho attacked it with a hammer.
 Lucky me, this was time two for me to go to Saint Peters Basilica. 
This picture makes me laugh, I'm not sure if we are hugging each other or strangling each other. I'm pretty sure it's a hug... even though we spent so much time together, and I don't think we fought that much (even though she got my birthday cake twice) we even invented our own form of sign language and told everyone we were non-identical twins! I tired to get her to come with me to Europe this time too, but she's still in school. Some people are so responsible. 

  1. About the time we hit Rome you were ready to strangle each other, oh wait, no you weren't. You two got along fine, but I was ready to strangle you both!

    Love Pop

    ReplyDelete