Naples

Posted on 4/01/2012

If you read my post about how much I loved Naples, despite the bad PR it gets, you know Naples is a bit run-down ... well-loved, I like to call it. But I thought there was a real charm to the city, honestly, it seemed so much more REAL then other places I went (like Sorrento, and Capri which were perfect to the point of boredom and Rome which was 100% tourists, 100% of the time). Naples is a real working-class city, and it looks like it. I don't think that there is anything wrong with that. There is beauty in everything, right? I think so anyway-

If you read that blog you also know that there is a LOT of graffiti, everywhere. But honestly that didn't really bother me either.  Some were ugly, some were confusing, but there was also some that was really amazing.
The good-
The bad-
The ugly-
The confusing... actually the "I'm pretty sure was a gang tag because it was everywhere"-
And this one that I walked by everyday on my way to my hostel that I never really understood-

And, as the rumors say yes, there is a problem with trash collection. As in, it's not collected on any regular schedule apparently-
But seriously, there is an easy solution: step around it. Problem solved!!!

Naples is also home to the best pizza I have ever had in my entire life, seriously my mouth waters looking at this picture-

And the views from the top of the city aren't bad either-

Yup. I loved Naples. I loved that I felt like I was actually among real locals most of the time, that I never felt like I was being over-charged because I was a tourist, that despite the reputation every single local person I talked to (asking directions, or whatever) was incredibly kind and gracious, that when I got lost, a shop keeper had his 10 year old son take me to the nearest Metro stop... I think Naples is so underrated, I would recommend it to anyone who isn't scared of a little trash, doesn't care that everything isn't perfect and wants to eat pizza breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

Post a Comment