Marshall Islands (throwback #15)

Posted on 6/27/2013

I have been staying this week with my friend Matt, who I first met while we were both volunteer teachers in the Marshall Islands. We have been looking back at the pictures of orientation and laughing at so many ridiculous RMI stories. Like the time Kasey fell asleep while we were getting a lecture from the coast guard on how if we got lost at sea we would probably just die. Or the time that Todd sang karaoke, how we ate the most disgusting food every day, the sad little "grocery stores", how we were kinda jealous of some other volunteers who paid $15 for a block of cheese, and of course debating which is better: rice and corned beef hash, or rice and ravioli? (I am a rice and corned beef hash girl, myself.)
It's funny how different the experience we had ever  (his island had jungle, mine did not, he taught like 50 kids, I taught 200, he lived in the back of a church, I lived with a family, his family had a truck and three bikes, no one on my island had either of those things, I had one window he had one (that matters!!!) etc.) 
So here we are almost 2 years ago-which is crazy to think it was that long ago!




Also, I am sending lots of love to the RMI this week because the stupid super moon, high tide and global warming means that half of Majuro (the capital) is flooding

Post a Comment