Berlin: Museum Quarter & Berlin 360

Posted on 2/10/2012


Berlin Dom
Obviously not my picture, you are
NOT allowed to take pictures.
I got this from wikipedia :)
I think the best/worst part of Berlin is that it is SO OVERWHELMING. There is so much to do- we spent 5 days there and it was not long enough at all. But we decided to spend one day exploring the Museum Island, which is home to a lot of the major museums in Berlin. It has a huge egyptian section, so I was in. Little known Anna fact: I totally wanted to be an Egyptologist when I was little (no one in my family agrees that this was a career ambition for me, but I know it was). It's actually home to the famous Nefertiti Bust, which is, ya know, 3,300 years old. It looks great for it's age :) There are also whole sections of Egyptian tombs that were taken and reconstructed... yeah I don't actually know how I feel about that... pretty sure Egypt would probably like them back- but they were neat to see none the less. Especially ironic about this (to me at least) is that I read at least 20 times about how Russia totally ransacked Berlin's museums after World War 2 and won't give anything back... well maybe it's kharma. Anyway....
Since I love buildings here are some of the museum quarter-
these are all of the "New Museum" which was closed, so we didn't get to go inside, but I was plenty impressed with the exterior. I'm not into "modern" art anyways, so I wasn't too disappointed.
I'm not sure what this one was called, but it was full of old Roman statues. Loved it :)
The next night-our last night in Berlin, after spending the day in Potsdam- it was FREEZING cold and Joseph and I on a whim decided to go to dinner at Berlin 360. Out train to Prague didn't leave till 11:30 and we had a lot of time to kill, (like five hours), and there was really no better place that we could have spent it.
It was expensive but 100% worth it. We had a delicious dinner, and as we sat down Joseph said "the only thing that would make this better was if it rotated" - don't worry it rotated :) So I would put it in the "perfect, once in a life time experience" category. Most of this trip has been on the cheap (or at least as cheap as we could make it) so it was nice to really splurge! 
...we even got desert! :) 

Post a Comment