Military Dinner

Posted on 2/07/2012

Vienna Military Arsenal, where the dinner was held.
Outside of the arsenal
The inside of the museum: holy amazing.
Apparently going to the Vienna Officers Ball is a multiple day affair, which I did not know in advance. Luckily Emma (Josh's upstairs neighbor and a fellow officer) told me I would need a cocktail outfit and I was able to scrape something up. The day before the ball there is a military dinner (somewhat misleading there was not a lot of food, but there was a rockin' desert bar: yummm!)

walking up the staircase
I don't mean to brag, but we are pretty cute!
The real fun was after the dinner when we went to the after party... which was in a  real life Officers Club. I was told that these were mostly done away with after integration of women into the military service, but in Vienna there is still one going strong. And it was awesome. Why? Uhm because it was like James Bond hidden and you had to be buzzed in, like a total celebrity. Then you walked through this old building, followed the noise and ended up at the Officers Bar... The military guys like it because they can drink in their uniforms at a bar (only because it's a military bar, no non-affiliated civilians allowed).
It was really fun, very crowded and there were some fun military traditions (like drinking out of a helmet) that I got to watch. Also some military guys got their "spurs" so that was celebrated (side note: Josh has his "spurs" -not that I have any idea what that means, to be honest- so yay Josh! He also has a super cute military cowboy hat.)
All and all, everyone should get to experience a James Bond hidden bar at one point in their life. Quite a few people ended up pretty intoxicated and apparently slept in the alleyway of the old building, but I was not one of them. I kindly tried to wake them up but that wasn't happening- so I left with Emma around 2am and considered it a night very well spent.

(Lots of the pictures of the Vienna Military Arsenal were taken by this blogger and they are 100x better then anything I could have taken, so thanks to her!)

Post a Comment