Dresden: Zwinger Palace

Posted on 2/08/2012

Much to my delight, Dresden had a palace. The Zwinger Palace was modeled after Versailles: apparently after the King of Poland went there in the 1690's he wanted something equally as fabulous for himself (and who can blame him). Because the original palace was built as a fortification for the city and was no longer needed, he decided to give it a face lift. I think he did a pretty good job:
a moat... I want a house with a moat.
Not to shabby...just a casual summer home


Naturally I wanted to move in ASAP. Unfortunately most of the things inside the palace were closed so we just were able to walk around outside (for some reason most things in Dresden were closed- I guess that is the curse of the off-season traveler). Joseph and I had a great time walking around though and all and all Dresden was really amazing. My original impression of the city was super wrong and in this case: I loved being proved wrong!

Post a Comment