Berlin: Potsdam

Posted on 2/10/2012

On our last day in Berlin we decided to head on over to Potsdam, which is about 45 minutes outside of Berlin (by train). We had NO plan at all (as usual) and just got off the train, grabbed a free map, dodged all the tourist people who tried to convince us to take a bus tour and decided we could walk wherever we wanted to go. Joseph and I never took "bus tours" and would just walk everywhere, only taking public transportation if it was really cold (most of the time in Berlin) or really far (Potsdam). Walking around was great exercise for all the unhealthy food we were eating (there should be/ will probably be a whole post dedicated to the Donner and Currywurst before I leave, they are both delicious). Even if it took us longer we had a great time seeing more stuff and getting a little off the tourist beaten path. For example, I was obsessed with cute store signs like this one
I think they are so cool looking. So much better then American store signs :)

Anyway, back to Potsdam. Potsdam is home to beautiful Sanssouci Palace (along with extensive gardens and lots of other buildings)...it was the summer palace whereas Charlottenburg was the winter palace. I'm not jealous AT ALL. Yeah right, I'm totally jealous. Who wouldn't want to live in this-
Look at my gleeful smile, you know I am totally contemplating moving in
I know right, just when you think you can't handle another gorgeous palace. Long sigh. I loved that it was yellow. The name actually means "without concerns" and ya know what? If I lived there, I bet I wouldn't have any! It was the favorite home of Fredric the Great, he is even buried in the park there.

As we walked thru the gardens, and almost froze to death doing so- I legit asked Joseph at one point if he would still be my friend if my nose had to be amputated- we ran across other buildings such as

A roman bath house. Naturally. I totally have a roman bath house in my backyard, too. I also have a windmill-
In addition, doesn't everyone have a small guest house a mile away to put guests they don't like? 
That's totally normal. Since we didn't have a map, it was funny to just keep running into these buildings. Also, there were lots of Anna-sized doors around for some reason which was awesome
I loved them! Aren't they the cutest?

All and all Potsdam was a winning day, even if we almost died from exposure to the cold... on the bright side there were like NO tourists (wonder why? But there were children skating on the ponds in the gardens) so we had the whole place to ourselves.

Post a Comment