Barcelona: Gruell Park

Posted on 3/09/2012

Modern art is absolutely Barcelona's "thing" which was not super thrilling for me since I have no appreciation for modern art- actually I have like negative appreciation for modern art... Let's just say there has never been a piece of modern art that I have seen that I have actually liked. :)
Still, as my super smart Uncle Brian always says "when in Rome..." So since my Uncle Brian is never wrong about anything, ever, I decide to really try to dig down deep and appreciate modern art, especially since I was seeing arguably some of the best in the world. I was told that it would be like something out of Dr. Seus, and I love Dr. Seus, so I was thinking that maybe that would play in my favor.
Gruell Park was designed by Gaudi (who I had never heard of before) but is apparently ridiculously popular. By the way it's pronounced like gaudy, which I don't think is a coincidence. 
Going to the park is quite the hike- they actually have escalators it is so steep! But the view is quite nice-
This terrace is probably the most famous part of the park-

Along with this lizard fountain thing-

But I thought these weird seating things were, well, weird-

Along with these cavern things-
Along with these paths and the art-

And so were the houses (actually, okay I will admit it, I quite like the first white one)-

I dug deep but I really don't think I came to appreciate it. It reminded me of something out of the Flinstones. Apparently when the wife of the guy who actually paid for this saw it she also did not appreciate it and was actually pretty pissed. I don't blame her- my reaction probably would have been similar!!
  1. Oh Barcelona!!! I visited there back in high school. I wish I had appreciated everything about it when I went. I would love to go back. Thanks for all the great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not being a huge modern art fan it was hard to enjoy the architecture...but I did enjoy the nice weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so funny how different we are sometimes, I was looking at your pictures and thinking how much I would love that place! I love modern art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barcelona is the place then, there is modern art EVERYWHERE!

      Delete