Pompeii: Forum, Stabian Baths

Posted on 3/29/2012

To have only one post on Pompeii would just be so wrong, I can't do it. So... I just uploaded 65 Pompeii pictures and I will see how many I can blog about :)
Even that is a total injustice to Pompeii, in my opinion. 
First of all I was totally unprepared for how large Pompeii is. I feel like it's something we all learn a little about in school, or maybe watch a documentary on TV about it, but I was still shocked by the size: it's five square miles! Seriously, it's huge. I had read that you can "see" all the main sites in about 3 hours but I spent almost 8 hours there and I could have gone back for a second day (I really considered it) so how you could do it in three hours, I have no idea.
Background: Pompeii was buried by ash and pumice when Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD, completely burying the city, and it was discovered again in the 1750's. There had been a large earthquake maybe 20 years before it was buried, so many buildings had just been renovated in the latest styles, etc. and it was a huge, bustling, pretty rich port city in the Roman Empire. So there is lots to see- it's like going back in time, honestly.
So here is the first view walking into the city-  this is the main market area of the city and lucky for me I got their early enough that I was one of the only people wandering about, later this area was PACKED full of people-
 And since it is still a working archeological site, there are these little gated off areas with stuff in them all over-
I bet being an archeologist at Pompeii is an archeologists DREAM! They still work there daily I think- there were quite a few areas roped off and covered where you could hear people working and talking and listening to music. 

The first place I went too was the Stabian Baths-  they had actually JUST reopened (like 2 weeks before) after restoration! Yay :)  It is separated into men and women's sections with changing rooms, steam, hot, cold rooms, changing rooms... even a room for massages!
The grassy area is where people would work out, pre-pampering! 
Insane right???!! 

Post a Comment