Morocco: Bedouin village, ceramic shop & camels

Posted on 3/13/2012

I figured it would be pretty easy to hook up with a day trip from Marrakech to the Atlas Mountains, which was a "must do" for me, but ended up being somewhat more difficult then I expected. I ended up meeting a lady who pointed me in the direction of a company she had gone with, so I felt comfortable with. I paid my 250 dirham ($30-ish) and was picked up the next morning at 9am on the back of a motorcycle- the very ones I swore never to get on. They zoom thru the Mendina at terrifying speeds.... As my mom would say, its a "danger!" (actually my mom would have said that about many things I did on this day trip!) ... I did thankfully survive and scored a prime front seat space (benefit of being a single) in our tour van.
Our first stop was a very touristy Bedouin village, which was somewhat cool:


And our next stop had an amazing view...and was a combination cafe, rug shop an clay/pottery shop.
Rug shop:


Clay/Pottery shop:



THEN, we got back in the van and headed to this place, which I am not at all sure what it was (honestly) but it was cool, none the less and had an AMAZING view-
and there were some kids playing on the side of the road that were adorable-
 but we had to cross this bridge...sorry mom...
and ended up here, which, like I said, I have no idea what it is, what the purpose was but it was a cool building and the bridge was fun, too! 
Needless to say the people on the tour (there were 6 others + me) were quite put out that we kept stopping at stores... Obviously they were in with the tour guide somehow. But no one bought anything and they didn't hassle us as we took loads of pictures so I guess it was okay.
Lastly, we stopped at a camel ride on the side of the road: camel rides were a mere 200 dirham ($23-ish)!! Needless to say no one got on a camel and we were on our way again. I was slightly bummed that I never got on a camel, but I was not about to pay $23 for the privilege. I even tried to negotiate to just get on the camel, take a picture and get down, but that was not happening for less then maybe $10... So I declined. On the bright side this totally inspires me to go back to Morocco for a Sahara tour someday, which I will absolutely be doing- hopefully someday soon! I met loads of people who were in Morocco for like 4-6 weeks and I would love to do that in some upcoming summer, it would jut be so cheap and amazing. Anyway here are some camel pictures, isn't the baby the cutest?!
I guess if I am being honest I kind of regret not getting on the camel for a picture but honestly I also did feel bad about how they were treated so I am glad that I didn't contribute to that. :/
And, thankfully, that was our last stop before the Atlas Mountains!
Whew. Long post. Josh (my wah wah baby brother) told me the other day that it was "difficult" to keep up with my blog because there are so many posts! Yeah well just imagine how DIFFICULT it is to post this much! Especially when I have a measly TWO followers (love you mom & Erin) and feel that it is completely unappreciated. Seriously! If you love me, follow the blog it's like totally the validation that I need. Honestly when your own Dad, Aunts, Uncles, siblings, and BFFs aren't following it's PATHETIC. Almost as pathetic as me trying to guilt them into following just so I don't look pathetic with my 2 followers on my google thing. HOWEVER, for the record, I am also making this blog so I can prove someday to my kids/grandkids that I was (AM) awesome :) 
  1. anna I follow your blog everyday. lol I'm just not set up as a follower lol. I love your adventures. I'm living through you right now. can't wait til you get home so we can have lunch or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we have to have lunch ASAP when I get back I want to see Taryn & hear all about your Mommy life :)

      Delete
  2. So weird Donna I got an email about your comment but it's gone however...

    I LOVE your pictures from when you were in Europe, so I am glad you love mine! I always tell people how my BFFs Mom got to climb all over the monuments in Europe and Africa to take pictures instead of just standing next to the barrier like we have to now! Lucky! I'm glad you like my blog! Oh, and there is a post card coming your way-three words: tree climbing goats! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted it and then took it down because I was trying to put my camel picture as my profile. It didn't work the first time, so I deleted it, copied it and re did it. Then I got the picture to post as my profile, so I think it emailed. my bad. Can't wait for the postcard. I save them all. Happy travels!

      Delete
    2. Ahh I love your camel picture! Is that your Mom behind you, her swimsuit is so cute!!

      Delete
    3. No Anna, that's my sister with me on the camel.

      Delete
  3. Anna! I am at RAMS monitoring two kids on NovaNet and catching up on your blog. I'm still following! Thanks for the entertainment during this boring period. There is testing so it's silent and I'm not even getting the amusement of inappropriate banter! Also, I now know I'll cancel that trip sometime in the future to Morocco. I'll settle for the overpriced restaurant here in Portland and think of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would be okay in Morocco but I guess I should say I would not recommend it for women that haven't spent much time traveling alone....However you hiked the whole freaking west coast alone so I think you would be fine. That said I think women HAVE to attach themselves to a larger group & as long as you know that going in...well at least you wouldn't be surprised like I was. I did get good at making friends as a bonus. :)
      PS tell everyone at RAMS I said hello!! I will be back soon & will absolutely stop by to say hello haha :)

      Delete
  4. Anna! I finally was able to get on and read about your awesome travels!!!
    It is so fun to see all the pictures and read where you have been. So lucky to be able to go see the world while you can...
    be safe- love you Mindi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the best/worse part of traveling is that the more I travel, the more places I want to go!!

      Delete