Paris: Louvre Day & Champs-Elysees

Posted on 3/08/2012

I had strategically planned to go to the Louvre on a Wednesday since its open till 9pm on Wednesday and Fridays (and is still only €10- a great deal in my opinion). I hadn't gotten an advance ticket but the line moved fast, thankfully, and only took about 15 minutes.

& here is a flashback-me at the Louvre with Micah, I was 16-
I'm the one that looks like a boy. I think my looks have improved since then, but I always tell people I was ugly in High School and they are like "oh it couldn't have been that bad..." REALLY? Yes it could have, and here is the proof!

I had planned to spend the whole da day at the museum- but I actually was somewhat disappointed with it and only stayed about 6 hours ("only 6? hours?" ... I know! But I love art museums so that's about normal for me!). The crowds were insane and there were a ton of school groups that were (not exaggerating) screaming at each other down the corridors! It was so annoying and really ruined the experience for me. I did manage to get away from them for part of the time, but it seemed like the entire museum was full of them! I am all about exposing students to museums but their behavior was out of control!
I did manage to see some cool things out of the windows-
and inside, too-
I have seen it before, and it was no more impressive the second time- I will never understand why it's so famous I think it's all a very successful PR campaign, there are loads more impressive paintings in my opinion like this one-


The Wedding, Veronese. This is directly across from the Mona Lisa.
Yeah. More impressive, right? I think so ...especially since it's literally the largest thing painting I have ever seen, I think it's over 12 feet tall.
Side note: I also saw "Mona Lisa's sister" in Madrid, which is exactly the same picture with some coloring differences. Apparently without the PR, because its not know at all (I had no idea it existed) and is exactly the same woman and smile, dontcha think?
The Louvre Mona Lisa is on the right-the one on the left was believed to have been painted at the same time as the original by one of Da Vinci's students... is this a case of the student surpassing the master? Why is this second one not at famous, when I actually think it's better then Da Vinci's AND it was created at the same time? It's like the off-brand Mona Lisa that is actually better then the brand name, but everyone is still too attached to brand loyalty to admit it.

After leaving the lourve I walked down the Champs-Elysees-


 to the Arc de Triump. I would say it was about an hour, but it was a nice walk and I got a crepe (the first of many!). Again, I didn't spend the €12 to go into/up the Arc (I've done it before)-

but it was still cool, and a nice walk regardless. On the way back I walked along the Seine just so I could walk by all these cool shops that are along the river-



Lastly, I have never taken a picture and been like, holy crap that's amazing picture EVER before, but this one I was really impressed with:
I didn't even mess with the coloring or anything- and I took it thru a window! But I think it's my favorite picture that I have ever taken.

Post a Comment