Paris: Museum de Revolution & Napoleons Tomb

Posted on 3/08/2012

I started out my day at a museum that had been highly recommended by Rick Steve's but that I thought was awful- the Museum de Revolutionary. I was expecting...I don't know a museum about the revolution?! And was pretty excited since I had just finished reading a book extremely sympathetic to Marie Antoinette and the royal family as a whole, so I was curious to see how the French would portray it. But that didn't happen it was a super boing museum an had one room on the revolutionary time period- talk about false advertising. I guess I can't be too mad since it was free, though. 
Next I headed over to Napoleons Tomb, which my mom had raved about. In the same complex is the Invalids Hospital, which was built as a hospital and retirement home for war veterans-today it's a military history museum (yawn!). However it is an amazing building-

This street art was right in front of the hospital, some people are just way to clever-
Then I moseyed on over to Napoleons Tomb-

It was pretty cool, and there is some great history there too. According to legend, Hitler visited and stated he wanted a tomb just like Napoleons - and as he walked around the tomb there were American pilots hiding in the ceiling of it, safely hidden by the French resistance.

My favorite carving inside the tomb
Then I stumbled on my absolute, with out question favorite museum of Paris- the Charles de Gaul museum, which is in the basement of the Invalids Hospital. It was everything a history nerd like me could ask for...interactive! Super interesting! Not crowded... I can not recommend it enough (and it is free!!). I really have never read up a lot on the French resistance and Charles de Gaul, but I want to now! (I always think a really good museum leaves you wanting more, I had the same problem at the Sissy Museum in Vienna.)
On my way to the train station (where I was leaving at 6pm) I happened to stumble on some amazing buildings-

And then I decided to go back to Notre Dame, because I really, really wanted to be impressed by it and I thought maybe the first time I was just being a huge snob... but I was not impressed anymore the second time, either.

I think the back of it is the most impressive part and it still pales in comparison to St. Vitus in Prague:
More impressive then Notre Dame, right? I'm not crazy...right??!
And with that, I was off to Barcelona! 

Post a Comment