Pompeii: winery, outside the walls, Villa of Venus

Posted on 3/29/2012

I walked down and outside the city walls-
Past these gorgeous wineries. I don't know if they still make wine there, but it kinda looks like they do... and they should that would be so awesome! I would buy it and drink it, and I don't even like wine. It seems like it would be a marketing gold mine but I didn't see it in any shops or anything...
Outside the city walls are basically the cemeteries. Since Romans were amazingly efficient and thought out every detail,  they knew it was a total waste of city space to have funeral monuments within the city, so all the cemeteries were right out side the city gates instead. People were typically cremated, but rich people would still build monuments to themselves and their accomplishments.
One of the 7 city gates-
And the area outside-

Then I headed over to the colosseum, which is is the first to have been built out of stone instead of wood-it predates the colosseum in Rome by almost 100 years. Apparently the Pompeiians loved their games and after they were built there was a massive riot at the colosseum, and Nero (who was Emperor at the time) declared there would be no more games for 10 years as punishment. But when 5 years later there was a giant earthquake, he gave them back to build morale. 
 And the tunnels under the colosseum-

Next, I stumbled on (seriously it was down a dead end road, I was lost and there was no one there) the Villa of Venus. This villa is super famous because it is one of the few frescos that still remains within Pompeii itself-most of them were taken to a museum in Naples when they were discovered (and yes I went to that museum, of course and it was amazing) but for some reason the fresco at this villa was left. 
The villa was home to a really rich trader and it's huge with a giant courtyard and everything. I want a courtyard and frescos in my house someday! :)
Look how red the paint still is, it's that crazy? I mean it's TWO THOUSAND YEARS OLD. Blows my mind.
There is also a sad story with this villa. During excavations the body of a very pregnant woman was found in this villa, surrounded by her family. Some people think the woman and her family did not leave the city (which would have saved their lives, many rich residents were able to escape the city and the villa proves they were obviously wealthy) because of her pregnancy. They stayed, and died. 
 One of the side bedrooms-

 And the reason it is named the Villa of Venus-
What is a gorgeous fresco in a garden after all? So casual. All the cool kids have one. I can't help but think design style has gone seriously downhill since 79 AD!
  1. Dang, Anna I thought that I saw everything and have been everywhere that I have wanted to go, but the blue skies and old artifacts makes me want to do Italy. Damn you, I was a content man until I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! haha.. I recommend that you take Mom on a long vacation there! :)

      Delete