Barcelona: Hospital de Sant Pau, Arc de Triumph

Posted on 3/10/2012

When talking to other people traveling in Barcelona everyone kept mentioning "the hospital" as in "Yes, I have been to the hospital," or "No, I haven't but I NEED to go." Since I had done exactly zero research about things to do in Barcelona before I went I was totally confused about what what going on. I just smiled and nodded because I thought maybe everyone was sick or something?... and I didn't want to be rude! 
However, a closer inspection of my map assured me that I was (in fact) crazy the hospital everyone was talking about was The Hospital de Sant Pau,  tourist site- but actually it was a working hospital up to 2009 (now part of it is an art school).
Not too shabby, right?
Basically if I had to be sick in a hospital, this would be my hospital of choice. :) It was founded in 1401, but underwent major renovations around 1900 which is why it's so art deco.
Certainly worth seeing, I thought. Added bonus I got to casually say "yes, I went to the hospital today" and it was a GOOD thing, which I feel like may never ever in my life happen again :)
From there I walked to the Arc de Triumph (Barcelona style, which I thought was cooler then the Paris one actually)-
Then I walked along the main street back to my hostel-
And saw this... maybe the highlight of my day (remember I don't like modern art)-
And called it a very sucessful day!

Post a Comment