Barcelona: Olympic Park & Castle de Montjuic

Posted on 3/10/2012

My last day in Barcelona,  I decided to go to Olympic Park which is to the south of the city (still within walking distance) but not really IN the city. I was ready to get out of the city, so I started by walking along the beach (did you know Barcelona's beaches are fake? They were made for the Olympics -1992 Summer Games- and the sand is imported from Egypt)-
The hike up to Olympic Park is crazy steep but the views were worth it-
About half way up
And all the way at the top-

Totally worth the hike, although once I got to the top I realized there was a metro station that takes you right there!! I'm glad I walked though it was really pretty. There was also a hotel at the top and it had amazing gardens-


Can you imagine watching a soccer game and having this view?!-

How amazing would that be?
After checking out the amazing views, I hoped on a train to head to the Castle de Montijuic. It was built in like 1640, and had more amazing views-
One of the downsides of traveling alone, I would have felt pathetic eating at this restaurant alone but if I had someone I totally would have!
And there was a huge Catalina flag-
The Catalonian flag is supposed to be one of the oldest in the world. The four red stripes are to represent the bloody fingerprints of a warrior wiping his hand off on his shield.
which I was told Barcalonian residents are extremely proud off. There is actually a movement to create Catalonia as a country separate from Spain, and in Barcelona residents speak Catalonian, not Spanish. I'm not entirely sure how different the 2 languages are, it all sounded like Spanish to me!
Lastly I went walked around the Joan Miro Museum which was another shrine to modern art. Pretty sure you know how I felt about that :)
And then I headed back to my hostel for some laundry before i headed to Madrid!

Post a Comment