Naples

Posted on 3/27/2012

I heard and read heaps of bad things about Naples before I decided to spend 7 nights there.
It's dirty.
It's crowded.
The people are rude.
It's dangerous.
There is nothing to do.
There is trash everywhere.
It is run by the mob.
...the list goes on.
Basically if you can complain about it, someone has complained about it in reference to Naples. Still I decided to spend 7 nights and 6 days there. I knew I would do at least 4 day trips (Capri, Sorrento, Pompei and Herculaum) and figured I could figure the other 3 day out. I ended up spending 2 days exploring Naples and I have to say... I loved it.
Yes, it is crowded and dirty and busy and there are no public parks. Yes, there is graffiti everywhere-- and I mean everywhere!! But it's also a city that still has the original street system that the Romans used 2,000 years ago- there is so much history! The Palace at Naples is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen-probably even more impressive then most other European palaces I have been to. It is amazing- admittedly not on the outside though! The outside is covered in graffiti- the inside is covered in perfect white marble.
Yes, there are frequent trash strikes (since apparently the mob controls garbage collection) but it's not any worse then Boston on trash day. Also who cares about a little trash on the street when you can get amazing pizza for €1 and eat it while starting at Mt Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples? It didn't bother me one bit and I would say its no dirtier the other cities like Paris or Rome.
Is it dangerous? Well maybe compared to other cities in Europe (I don't know I have not read the statistics) but I never really felt unsafe - it didn't SEEM more dangerous and it didn't FEEL that way. I did the same things I did in every other city I have been to and was fine. And the people were so kind and friendly- I have to say I believe there are good an bad in every city. It is too bad the "bad" people of Naples are the only ones that get noticed, when everyone I met was super nice and helpful and they get overlooked.
Naples is also a great spot for traveling to other nearby places- its super convenient, and the trains are cheap along with hostels and food. Probably because everyone stays across the bay in Sorrento because of Naples bad reputation!
All in all I would say Naples was amazing and if you skip it because I the rumors you are missing out. Why would you want to stay in picture perfect Sorrento when you could stay in gritty Naples- a huge, old city that feels so alive and so real? Seriously. Naples needs to get on their PR game because it has a lot to offer and everyone passes it by without giving in a 2nd look.
Well- I love you Naples!
Hopefully I will see you again soon! :)
xoxo

Post a Comment